Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Gideons Bible - Cebu City.



Finding a Gideons Bible in a motel or hotel room in the U.S. is so common that, to me, they are practically invisible - I just never give them much thought.

It was, however, a bit strange finding a Gideons Bible at the Express Inn in Cebu city, Philippines. Seeing one there really brought home to me just how widespread the practice of placing Bibles in motel/hotel rooms is for the organization.

I took a photo of the Bible placed in room 306, because I found something especially odd about it.

Someone had taken a marker and wrote the name of the hotel across the pages of the Bible. I have no way of knowing if this was done by a Gideon or someone working for the Express Inn. The question in my mind is, "Why?".

Usually, I'd say writing the hotel name that way is to prevent stealing. But, the hotel doesn't really own the Gideon Bible, so they wouldn't be losing anything. If it was written by a Gideon, it seems to be a misplaced gesture.

Surely, if anyone is in need of a Bible, it would be someone who steals a Bible.

No comments: