Friday, January 5, 2007

Thoughts on the food in Dumaguete

With such a wide variety of places to dine out in Dumaguete, I can't pretend to be an expert on all the restaurants, cafes and eateries in the city. I can, however, write about the few establishments with which I am familiar.

I've eaten at the Jollibee on Perdices a couple of times. They have a burger which is, surprisingly, comparable to a McDonald's Big Mac. The mango fried pie is pretty good,too. I've been to Chow King and I'd say the food is typical Chinese fast food. Cathy and I had a pizza from Shakey's delivered to our hotel room. It was some kind of pepperoni pizza with something crispy on top.......which turned out to be shredded potato.

Our food of choice was from D&C Manokan. I can remember the first time we had their chicken. When it arrived at the room, there were no forks or spoons included. I wasn't sure how we'd eat the rice. This was my first time eating rice with my fingers. Being a Southern boy, I'd eaten chicken with my fingers all my life so, that was no problem for me. As a matter of fact, I'll still eat rice with my fingers when I'm eating bony fish.

The Swiss steak from Don Atilano is wonderful.

I guess the most last effect of having eaten in Dumaguete is my new-found habit of eating everything with a spoon and fork-Philippine style.

No comments: