Saturday, April 30, 2011

After the Tornado.

Wednesday morning, just before 8:00 o'clock, after my wife & son left home for work and school, I went back to bed. It was a short nap. I was awakened forty minutes later by a tornado passing thru our area.

As it turned out, that tornado was one of what the Washington Post called "a series of deadly tornadoes that visited destruction on six Southern states....."

Thankfully, no one in our town was injured. We had no property damage, though as you will see in a video below, the college where my wife works lost several large trees. As a matter of fact, the tornado blew over so many trees in our county that 40% of the town's residents were without electricity due to so many power lines being knocked down by fallen trees.

Oddly enough, on the east side of town, most residents did not realize that a tornado had hit the west side; in east Rome, it was seen as "just a thunder storm". Fortunately, the school were my son attends is on the east side.

At our house, we were without electricity for a day and a half. There was no power outage where I work so I was able to go in.

All in all, I'd say the city of Rome, Georgia, fared rather well....especially compared to Ringold, Ga, in Catoosa county where "there are several homes that are nothing but foundations left” and at least 15 people were killed. Being without electricity is an inconvenience, but we're lucky that's all we experienced....an inconvenience.

The folks in Ringold - and other parts of the South - need our prayers.

Below, I have two videos taken from the Rome News Tribune website.



2 comments:

Stacy Trasancos said...

Thank God you were safe. Thank you for the information.

Al said...

Having been through a tornado in my youth, I know the devestation they can do. Glad to hear no one was harmed. New trees can be planted, new roofs put on, but lives are irreplacable.