Friday, August 31, 2012

Music.

For the most part, folks seem to develop their tastes in music at a young age. Sadly, it appears that most people don't allow their musical tastes to evolve. I see far too many people from my generation reminiscing about the music that appealed to them during their teen years.

OK, I get it. It's nice to listen to those old Beatle songs, the beach music or the psychedelic music of the 1960's occasionally, but can't we give it a break? There is an overwhelming abundance of music out there from other times and places.



This is the great thing about Spotify. I have access to a universe of wonderful music, a good portion of it new to me. Traditional Japanese and Chinese music, Haydn string quartets, early Jazz and Blues, ....... you can even listen to Old Fart Music if you're so inclined.

My "new find" of the week is the hammer dulcimer work of Joshua Messick. It's not the sort of music you can dance to; it's unlikely it would have been rated highly on American Bandstand , but that's a positive,right?


No comments: