Monday, October 14, 2013

Der Ring des Nibelungen.

Although my taste in music covers a broad spectrum - (I'm truly catholic in my musical tastes) - I'll be the first to admit that not all types of music are equally accessible to everyone. Fans of Bob Dylan might enjoy Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, or The Wallflowers, but Bernard Hermann could be alien to their musical temperament.

One of the forms of music which has been difficult for me to appreciate fully is opera...... more specifically, the singing in a language other than English. How can I understand Carmen when I don't speak French, La traviata when I'm ignorant of Italian, or anything by Wagner when German is, well, Greek to me?
Fortunately, with the Internet, finding the libretto to any opera - along with the English translation - is remarkably easy.

For a good many years, I've been thinking of ploughing my way through Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen. Now, thanks to a website containing Wagner's librettos and Wikipedia articles on the four operas ( Das Rheingold - Die Walküre - Siegfried and Götterdämmerung ) I can listen to the mega opera on Spotify.

It's going to be slow-go.

As things stand now, I'm listening to one scene at a time. It could possibly take me as long to hear the entire work as it did for Wagner to create it.

No comments: