Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Dog's Life


As a general rule, I rarely write or say anything critical of this country where I have chosen to live. Like the United States - or any other country, for that matter - Philippines is not perfect. However, I've found that being critical of this country - with even constructive criticism - gets you nowhere. Like the response given by many Americans when foreigners are critical of the U.S., many Filipinos will say, "If they (the foreigners) don't like it, they can leave".

But, with the situation found here concerning dogs, it's difficult for me to remain quiet.

To say that some areas of Philippines has a problem with stray dogs would be an under statement. I can't speak for other cities in the country, but our area, obviously has no agency for controlling stray animals. There is no animal control agency (that I'm aware of) no dog-pound, and no money to change the status quo.

Of course, it's been discussed on Facebook; everyone is unhappy about it. Usually, the health issue is brought up, with the threat of rabies being top on the list. In all honesty, however, I've yet to hear of a verifiable case of rabies here. The biggest health threat brought on by these stray dogs is the number of traffic accidents involving motorcycles and a dog in the road.

Obviously, an accident between a dog and a larger vehicle - a car, truck, easy-ride, or even a pedicab - will end in the death of the dog with little harm to the driver or passengers of the larger vehicle. An accident involving a motorcycle is a different story. I am aware of quite a few people who've been in such accidents and it's the lucky rider who doesn't spend time in the hospital as a result of the wreck.

The solution?

Many people reading this won't like my solution to the problem, but I see no other way other than killing the dogs. I've been called barbaric for this, but, really- what other choice is there?






No comments: