Friday, March 30, 2018

This Year's Via Crucis

For the 4th year in a row, I participated in the Good Friday Via Crucis, which starts at the St. Anthony of Padua parish church in Sibulan. It began at 4:30 AM.

 Like last year, this year's Via Crucis headed off toward the north, but soon turned to the left, before getting back onto the National Highway, going south. We turned off the highway again at Maslog school.

The route continued thru Barangay Cangmating, arriving back at the church.

The map shows my crude attempt at tracing the outline of this year's route. The white spot at the top indicates the approximate location of the church. According to the pedometer app on my phone, the distance traveled was 6.01 kilometers (3.73 miles).

At about the 3rd station, I was able to get within a few feet of the priest and the men who were taking turns carrying the cross. I wanted to remain near them throughout the walk. This wasn't easy. It wasn't that the priest was walking particularly fast, but people would appear out of nowhere and wedge themselves between me and the group I was attempting to follow. Of course, the ones directly in front of me would always slow down, forcing me to find a path around them.

Two hours after it began, the Via Crucis passed in front of my apartment. I fetched my camera for a few shots.






No comments: