Friday, February 8, 2019

A Mango Shake? Why Not?

Whenever I fetch my son from school, I usually go early in order to find a decent parking place along Hibbard Ave. That's exactly what I did this afternoon, and with lot's of time to kill, I thought I'd go in search of a mango shake to review for this blog.

A friend had told me of the shakes at Chin Loong Chinese restaurant located on the boulevard. I was headed that way when I heard someone calling my name as I passed a place called Why Not? It was another American I knew who was about to grab a bite to eat. Not wanting to appear rude, I decided to sit with him for a bit. I mentioned that I was on my way to get a mango shake, when he told me that Why Not? also had shakes.

I was already seated, so I thought I'd go ahead and try one.

As can be seen in the photo, the shakes there come topped with a little Filipino flag, a cherry and another piece of fruit which I could not identify. I didn't view the decorations as a good sign. It's a pretty good indication that the shake will be over-priced.

I was right, of course.

The unnamed fruit was extremely sour - like a very tart, green apple. I didn't like it one bit. The shake was ok, but nothing to write home about, as we used to say.

This mango shake was priced at 120 pesos. This is the second highest priced mango shake I've come across in Dumaguete - the highest priced being the one I bought at Chapters Cafe.

There is absolutely no way I'll ever get another mango shake at Why Not? The taste was about average - not the best in town, but not the worst either - the thought of paying almost twice as much as 90% of the shakes found elsewhere is ridiculous. I left feeling as if I had been robbed.

No comments: