Thursday, July 25, 2019

While Away from the Web.......Part One


Today is Saturday, July 20 2019. That is contrary to the date given on this blog posting. As I write this, I am currently without Internet access for my pc.

We moved from an apartment in Cangmating, Sibulan to our new house in Magatas, Sibulan on July 8. Getting moved into our house has put a strain on our budget and it looks as if we cannot have the TV cable and fibre-optic Internet connected until after my next Social Security check arrives in the bank the first week of August.

Of course, I miss the Internet, but after the first few days, the withdrawal pains haven't been nearly as bad as I thought they might be.

My reading as dropped off the past two years, and the loss of wifi has allowed me to catch up somewhat. While away from the web, I've reread Mikhail Bulgakov's "Master and Margarita". I'll speak more of that in the future, but I will say that I've forgotten quite a lot of the novel since I first read it three years ago.

Not having access to Spotify and forced me to open up my box of CDs. I also have a number of musical CDs burned onto my pc, but unfortunately, I made the mistake of creating the files as a RealSystem Media file for Real Player, my only excuse being that I was a relative computer newbie when I created the files and didn't really know what I was doing.

Not having Internet or international TV station access has prevented me from hearing of the gay to day drama going on in the U.S., and this has actually been a blessing. I'm not at all happy with the political turmoil currently going on in America, and being ignorant of what has been going on these past few weeks has truly been blissful.

Prior to moving into the house, I had been doing my morning workout in a gym located not far from Silliman University. Now that I'm in the house, there is more room to manhandle the dumbbells, and I save the 1300 peso membership fee besides. My workout has changed slightly since the move; no treadmill, of course. My plan is to walk along the diversion road. This being the rainy season, I haven't had much opportunity to walk outside; I did manage to do that this morning, however. At the gym, my routine consisted of 30 minutes on the treadmill followed by 30 minutes in the weight room. In the weight room, I was doing one body part a day, six days a week. At home now, I'm doing multiple muscle groups per day. The 30 minute weight training has become a 1 hour, 45 minute to 2 hour workout. I'm able now to work each body parts twice a week. Today being Saturday, it's leg and ab workout day. I walked for about an hour this morning along the diversion road. That may (or may not) substitute for the leg workout. We'll see.

It's my intention that this post will be the first of many. Just as I've neglected my reading this year, but I've neglected my writing as well. For the first part of July, I can put down this lack of blog posting to absence of Internet. That's not the case for the earlier months of the year. By the time the wifi is up and running and this is posted, we'll see how well I'm able to jot down a few lines now and then while waiting on my return to the 21st century.
These photos were taken on the day I wrote this post.










No comments: