Saturday, August 24, 2019

This Blog at Nearly Thirteen Years


In about 3 months time, this humble blog will have been around for 13 years.

As one can see from the Blog Archive, I haven't been posting very often in the past few years but there have certainly been some years when I wrote quite a lot. Those were usually U.S. Presidential election years.

There was also a time when I frequently went to Google Analytics to check on the traffic. It's been a long time since I did that either. However, I did go to the Analytics site today and looked at the blog's analytics from the very beginning. The photo above is a screenshot of the countries from where I have received visitors these past 13 years. The map shows hits from nearly every country in the world - with the exception of Cuba, North Korea and a few in central Africa. According to Google, the total number of countries from where I've received visitors is 198.

I checked online and discovered that the generally accepted number of countries in this world is 196.

I haven't checked them all, but there are a few places recognized as countries by Google Analytics which aren't accepted by everyone else. Taiwan and Greenland are two examples.

According to the stats, slightly more than 91,000 visitors have come here. That really isn't very many - especially when compared to the more than eight million views my photos uploaded to Google Maps have received. Spread out over 13 years, the numbers look even less impressive.

A friend of mine, whose blog posts I greatly miss, said upon his discontinuing his blog, that blogging was dead. Maybe, but still I feel a need to slog on with this blog. Sometimes, I feel as if I am fighting the good fight. There are other times when I feel like the Vicar of Blackstable in W. Somerset Maugham's masterpiece, Of Human Bondage:

"He had a great idea that one should stick to whatever one had begun. Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind."

No comments: