Friday, October 16, 2020

My Love/Hate Relationship With The Internet

I've often written that my primary way of getting ebooks to read is by going to the Project Gutenberg website. 

Many books that are now in the public domain can be downloaded from the website. FadedPage is a great source for books that might not be in the public domain in the U.S. but are in Canada.

The reason for my deciding to write of my feelings for the Internet came to me while I was listening to music online. This afternoon I was listening to an album released in 1982 by Jean Luc Ponty - Mystical Adventures. I loved that album when it was released. In those days, however, it wasn't always easy listening to music such as this. It certainly wasn't being played on the radio in Georgia - not even on FM.



It's remarkable to me that I have lived long enough to be able to listen to nearly every piece of music ever recorded. I wanted to write about this and I wanted to refresh myself on Jean Luc Ponty for the post.

I typed the musician's name into the Google search engine and immediatel had to prove I was not a "robot". This has been happening to me quite a lot recently, and I was tired of having to go through this crap. This time, I clicked on "why is this happening" and I read some terms of service garbage. After reading the terms of service, I attempted to search again but received the same robot crap for three or four more attemps.

I signed into my Google account and tried again. This time the search engine worked fine - no problem.

Of course, this could have very well have been a coincidence, but who knows? With algorithms you can never be certain.

Hence, my new title for this blog post - "My Love/Hate Relationship With The Internet".

No comments: