Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Dumaguete misadventure.

Cathy, Ludy and I climbed into the van and headed for the hotel where Cathy had reserved a room for me. They had made plans for a group of us to go to the beach the next day, but my first day would be spend at the hotel getting over the stress of the flight.

The room was on the second floor and there was a door which opened up to a balcony that overlooked the street. I had quite a few visitors that day and we took our meals at one of the tables on the balcony. Someone.......not sure who.....put the security latch on the room's front door and accidentally locked the back door that lead out onto the balcony. In other words, we were locked out of the room at one point. I had the key to the front door but, it would not open due to the latch. I went to the front desk and was told that there was no key to the back door and they would have to remove the front door off it's hinges in order for us to get inside. I was sorry that the hotel workers had to go to so much trouble considering that I had already planned to transfer to a different hotel when we returned from the beach.

The next morning,everyone in the group met at the hotel and the driver took us all to Bais. After a wonderful day,we went back to Dumaguete. We had ordered food at the beach resort and there was left over food which I took to the new hotel room. I can't recall all the dishes we had left but I do remember the left-over fish soup. I wasn't 100% satisfied with the new room and after spending the night I told them I wanted a new room. They gave me a new one but, I think they may have misunderstood my motives. Having slept in the room, I did not notice the over powering smell of fish soup. After I had moved everything into the new room I walked by the first room and it was then that the smell of fish really hit me.

If this had happened to me at a motel in the U.S. I know the staff would have given me a hard time over the stench, but, in Dumaguete nothing was said. I'm sure they were over-looking the problem because I was a foreigner (with money).

No comments: