Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Anonymous Bloggers.

OK, I admit it; I spend a great deal of time on the Internet.
Most of that time is spent reading blogs and professional op-ed pieces.

I do try to keep up on the latest news, but somehow, I'd missed the story of Liskula Cohen versus Rosemary Port. I still wouldn't have known about the two if I hadn't read Maureen Dowd's column in the New York Times and Kathleen Parker's column in the Washington Post.

For those of you who are - like I was just hours ago - unaware of who Liskula Cohen is, she is a professional model who has been the target of an anonymous blogger. The blogger had used her blog, Skanks in NYC, to defame Ms. Cohen by calling the Vogue model a "skank" and "ho" on more than one occasion.

Cohen sued Google for the identity of the blogger....one Rosemary Port (seen in photo).
Now, Port is, of course, suing Google as well.

Generally, I don't have a very high opinion of anonymous bloggers. There are exceptions to that, which I'll get to later. I've had a few run ins with anonymous folks leaving comments on this blog. I've gone into that in my Comment Policy.

As a rule, far too many anonymous bloggers use their anonymity to insult those they don't like with a ferocity and vulgarity that's really uncalled for. I've given up reading quite a few blogs for that very reason.

Of course, there are some bloggers who like to use the same sort of tactic on their enemies, all the while having no problem identifying themselves. Former Rome News Tribune writer Stacy McCain comes to mind.

As I said, there are anonymous bloggers who are the rare exceptions. LarryD of actsoftheapostasy is such a blogger. This speaks highly of Larry and his strong Catholic principles. Larry has a way of using humor to criticize without stooping to hateful words.

For more on the story follow these links:
blogger blames model
no apology.

1 comment:

Larry Denninger said...

Thanks for the nice words, Robert! I hope to continue to live up to them. (I guess I should be reading your blog more regularly, huh? Ooops!)

For the record, my real name is Larry, and my last name does start with the letter 'D'.