Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It's Tuesday.


Some might call this part of my Lenten penitence, though I prefer to call say that my participation in LarryD's 3 1/2 Time-Out Tuesdays is part of my recovery from my recent surgery - helping me ease back into the blogopolis.

1)
We knew prior to my surgery that I'd be removed from work for a considerable period. I thought that I'd spend most of my time either reading or writing.
The first week proved that the writing would take more effort than I was immediately able to sum up. Thankfully, Project Gutenberg and my Kindle would provide with more than enough reading material.

2)
Often times, while floating along the Internet, I'll drift off into areas - letting my whim take me me where it will, and I'll discover something interesting without being able to recollect exactly how I got from point A to point X. That's the case with my recent discovery of Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson.
Born in 1871, Benson was the youngest son of then Archbishop of Canterbury, Edward White Benson. He was ordained into the Church of England, but later converted the Catholicism and ordained as a Catholic priest.

3)
I've downloaded two of Benson's books from Project Gutenberg :
One "science fiction novel" Lord of the World. The work is essentially Benson's end-times from a Catholic perspective. Written in 1907, the work has certain flaws regarding technology of the future, but is, never the less, a remarkable work. Word of warning......brush up on your Latin to fully appreciate the work.
And two, a religious work, Paradoxes of Catholicism. The work is a collection of sermons given by Benson during Lent of 1913.

1/2)
The wikipedia article on Benson suggests that he may have been homosexual. Be that as it may, there's no indication of that in any of his work that I've read so far.

4 comments:

Larry Denninger said...

I'll have to check out that Lord of the World one. I just downloaded the entire 5-book John Carter series (Edgar Rice Burroughs) onto my Nook for $0.99. So once I'm done with those...

Hope your recovery is progressing smoothly and without complications!

Robert Simms said...

I guess great minds do think alike. I've reading Burroughs Tarzan series and was getting ready to download some of the John Carter books too.

Robert Simms said...

I've been reading..... not I've reading.

EegahInc said...

I just finished the Librivox recording of Lord Of The World about two weeks ago. Loved it, but yeah, I had to go digging for some translations there at the end.