Thursday, November 6, 2014

Series 8 - Episode 11.



As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've been watching Series #8 of Dr Who on the BBC website, thanks to my being connected to a VPN..

I've also promised that there would be no spoilers here. You folks outside the U.K. will be able to watch the program eventually. I only wanted to make a few comments.

It's not easy streaming through a server in London when your PC is in Philippines. It's possible, but the speed goes way down, traveling that far. Going to the site via my VPN cuts the speed in half.

Consequently, I can watch the program - if I switch to "low bandwidth" setting. Still, I experience a lot of problems with buffering.

Be that as it may, I've watched 11 episodes out of the 12 in series 8. The last will be televised on Nov. 8 and I'll watch it online a couple of days afterward.

Normally, it takes me a bit to warm up to a new Doctor. It took a few episodes for me to get David Tennant after Christopher Eccleston and likewise, it took a little longer for me to like Matt Smith following Tennant. I have to say, however, I've liked Peter Capaldi from the beginning of his stint. To me, he's more like the earlier regenerations. (Is that the correct word? Maybe, pre-regenerations?).

I suppose I go along with the critics regarding Capaldi; "wise and thoughtful","all the hallmarks of a great Doctor", and "crackled with fierce intelligence and nervous energy".

What will I do when the last episode of series 8 has played? I've already gone back to Netflix and started over with the 2005 series 1 with the ninth Doctor. Maybe that will hold me until series 9.

No comments: