Monday, January 26, 2015

Dream a Little Dream.

I heard, or read somewhere or other, that we all dream every night and that those who say they don't dream simply don't recall the dreams upon waking. Who I am to argue?

From my own perspective, for many years I've awoken from sleep having forgotten my dreams, but it seems that during the past six more or so, I've awoken with memories of very bizarre dreams. I won't go into the details of the dreams, but they've always been disturbing.

I've never cared for dreaming or the "dream state". As long as I can remember, my dreams have been unpleasant. To me, the words "dream" and "nightmare" are synonyms.

These dreams or nightmares don't have monsters and things that go bump in the night. I think it is the fact that the dreams are so illogical and so not down to earth that makes me so anxious.

In wikipedia, some of the possible effects of frequent nightmares is that those of us who suffer "experienced abnormal sleep architecture and that the results of having a nightmare during the night were very similar to those of people who suffer from insomnia. This means that, like insomniacs, people who suffer from nightmares do not get as much rest as those who do not suffer from chronic nightmares. Therefore, they experience a lesser quality of sleep than others."

I can say that I certainly don't get enough rest from sleep.

One website I came across while looking into dreaming, gives "15 Interesting Facts about Dreaming. Note - not all 15 are very interesting, but I digress.

#7 on the list is "Emotions. The most common emotion experienced in dreams is anxiety. Negative emotions are more common than positive ones."

OK, but that doesn't make me feel better.

#6 "Dreams are Symbolic. If you dream about some particular subject it is not often that the dream is about that. Dreams speak in a deeply symbolic language. Whatever symbol your dream picks on it is most unlikely to be a symbol for itself."

Well, if my dreams are telling me needs working on in my life, well, it'd be nice if the dreams were a bit clearer and easier to interpret.

No comments: