Thursday, February 20, 2020

From Russia With Love

Earlier this month, I noted that I had been watching the early James Bond films on the ok.ru website. Watching the films led me on a hunt for the Ian Fleming novels as e-books. I discovered that the books are in the public domain in Canada and thus available at fadedpage.com.

It was my original intention to read all 15 books in the series in the order they were published. My favorite of the early Bond films is From Russia With Love, and it turns out that it's also my favorite of the first five Bond books I've read. I like that the film and the novel are so similar - we all know that isn't always the case. The only difference between the two is the very different endings. I'm not the sort to do spoilers (even for 63 year old spy novels). I'll just say the endings are not the same.

I thought I'd be taking a break from James Bond after From Russia With Love, but I've gone back to my original plan, however, after reading it. Because of the ending, I wanted to go straight into book #6 - Dr. No.

The revised plan is to take a short break after Dr. No and read something unrelated. I'm thinking of reading a book recommended by Dr. Jordan Peterson - The Charterhouse of Parma.

No comments: