Monday, March 3, 2008

The Modern Religion.


In his 1963 acceptance speech as Republican candidate for President, Barry Goldwater said,
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Today, in the mishmash that is Western society, the keywords to the prevailing philosophy are, tolerance and moderation.
Today's philosophy seems to be more in line with Lyndon Johnson's reply to Goldwater,
"Extremism in the pursuit of the Presidency is an unpardonable vice.Moderation in the affairs of the nation is the highest virtue."
Today,all views are tolerated....except perhaps, for the view that there are Absolutes.The only sin today appears to be the once widely held view, that not all ideas are of equal value.
Contrary to what a great many would have us believe, some ideas are complete mush and should be identified as such.But, in pointing out these flawed and vacant beliefs, one will be immediately branded as "intolerant" and as an "extremist".
We mustn't make anyone uncomfortable by pointing out that what they believe may not be right or moral.
Having links in my blog to photos of fetal development makes some "pro choice" advocates uneasy and I shouldn't send the links to them. I shouldn't force someone to face something that conflicts with their desire to wash their hands over the abortion issue.
If my religion says "A" is right and "B" is wrong, I am called intolerant if I tell someone that they are in error and guilty of heresy.
Who the Hell do I think I am to have such strong views? How dare I hurt someone's feelings by telling them I disagree with them?
The prevailing philosophy of today could be called "The Rodney King Philosophy"...from the man who once asked "Why can't we all just get along?".
The motto for this philosophy could be, "Don't rock the boat";"Don't point out that blue is not red" or "Don't piss off anybody".

No comments: