Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pink Ribbon? No, Thanks.

I had been forewarned, so I knew what to expect. Actually, I'm one of the few who pays attention during our little ten minute meeting before 7 o'clock at work.

Last week, our supervisor told us that the corporate office was a big supporter of the Susan G. Komen organization and she'd be providing pink ribbons for everyone to wear today. When she attempted to give one to me, I said, "No thank you". Of course, she wanted to know why I'd refuse to support such a "worthy cause".

Anyone who is seriously involved with the Pro-life movement already knows the answer; for those who are unaware of the connection between Susan G. Komen and Planned Parenthood, I've post two links.

According to this article at lifenews.com , "Komen’s ties to Planned Parenthood are well documented and figures from STOPP International show Komen chapters giving $711,485 from April 1, 2005 to March 31, 2006 to Planned Parenthood affiliates."

I explained to my supervisor that I could not support the Susan G. Komen organization because of it's ties with Planned Parenthood......she said that she didn't agree with the "political agenda" of Susan G. Komen either, but this was about breast cancer awareness. I stood my ground and refused to wear the pink ribbon.

The more I thought about "breast cancer awareness" the more I realized the absurdity of the idea of wearing a pink ribbon while being opposed to Komen. Let's suppose the company supported a program like, say, "AIDS awareness" or even "influenza awareness" we could discuss how AIDS could be prevented by not doing A,B,C, or D. Some folks need to learn about how influenza is not just a severe cold, but a dangerous disease that caused serious epidemics before flu vaccines where developed. With "breast cancer awareness", there is little the average Joe or Josephine can do....other than donate money. So, who's going to get the money? These pink ribbon folks want you to give it to Susan G. Komen which will, in turn, give a portion of your money to the largest abortion provider on the planet.

No, thanks.

No comments: