Monday, August 20, 2012

Updates.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I haven't done much in the way of blogging lately. As a matter of fact, I haven't spent much time visiting other blogs that I had once considered necessary reads.

So, what have I been doing? Reading, mostly.

Currently, I'm in the middle of two books - each one is a sort of relief from the other when either gets a bit overwhelming - Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and Dead Man Walking by Sr. Helen Prejean.

The Tolstoy novel is on Kindle. I read the novel once before; back in 1979. I recall enjoying the novel then but it seems as if I've forgotten nearly every detail (just as I had forgotten those portions of Moby Dick that I had read years ago).

Not being able to download a free version of Dead Man Walking , I purchased a used hardcover edition from Amazon.com. This used copy was signed by Sr. Prejean in December, 1993 for someone named Mary Elizabeth. I'd call that bonus, since I only paid $4 for the book....including the cost of shipping.

Back in July, I wrote a post about having downloaded a book from Amazon.com that had been highly reviewed by The Curt Jester. Having read Danny Gospel on the recommendation of that review, I was greatly disappointed. Without going into detail, I'll just say that I do not recommend that book.

What else have I been doing?

This year, the Catholic school where my son is in the First Grade has managed to arrange a leasing agreement with the foreign language giant Rosetta Stone. Any student of the school - or parent of a student - can take an online course, for free, to study any language offered by the company. I've signed up for Tagalog .

I tell myself I should spend a little more effort on this blog. We'll see how that works out.

2 comments:

Dom Cimafranca said...

What? No Bisaya?! How unfair!

Just kidding, Bob. Passing through and saying "Hi!"

Robert Simms said...

Hi Dom,
Actually, I would have preferred Bisaya, but Rosetta Stone doesn't offer it.