Friday, September 29, 2017

Conquistadors


It's been more than a month since I last mentioned in this blog anything that I've been reading. At that time, I had just finished reading In the Mountains by Elizabeth von Arnim and had begun reading her novel, The Enchanted April. As I mentioned I would do at that time, when I completed The Enchanted April, I began to reread two books I had previously read in 2005 - Volumes One and Two of Sister Maria LĂșcia of Jesus' memoirs.

Next on my list was a biography of Hernando Cortez written in the early 19th century by historian, John S.C. Abbott. Abbott had made use of The Memoirs of the Conquistador Bernal Diaz del Castillo in writing his book. I had downloaded both volumes of del Castillo's memoirs quite a long time ago and I began reading volume one after finishing Abbott.

While reading del Castillo, I found a LibriVox recording of Francisco Pizarro and the Conquest of Peru by Frederick A.Ober. I've listened to three chapters and have located an ebook copy of the book at archive.org. Unfortunately, the ebook is a scanned copy of the hardbound copy of the book which doesn't read well on Kindle. If I end up listening to the entire book on LiberVox, I'll consider that the same as having read the book.

No comments: