Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fridays.

As others are losing their jobs during this,the Obama recession, I have been fortunate enough to be still employed. We had been working 40 hour work weeks until two or three months ago when we went on 32 hours. That means Fridays off.

You'd think that, with the extra day off from work, I'd be posting more on this blog on at least that one day. That hasn't proven to be the case, however.

I've made it a point, during this time off, to attend Mass with my 3 year old son - followed afterward by a trip to the library.

For reasons I have yet to figure out, J.P. is much more behaved on those weekday afternoons when he and I attend Mass as compared to Sundays when his mother is with us. I wish there was some way for my wife to see how he is when it's just the two of us at church.

At the library, J.P. heads straight to the children section in search of more Thomas the tank engine books. He'll pick four books and we'll head home for lunch. If he asks, I'll stop by McDonald's to buy a Happy Meal for him (I don't eat meat on Fridays, but being only three, it's OK for him to have a burger).

I don't know how much longer we'll be working this 4-day a week schedule. Even if we never return to a 5-day a week schedule-which is unlikely- J.P. will start pre-school next year so our Friday routine will eventually come to an end.

I'll miss it.

3 comments:

Will Johnston said...

I'm sorry to hear about your employment situation, but it's great that you're spending the extra time with your son.

Dom Cimafranca said...

My nephew is still at the Sesame Street and Shaun the Sheep stage, but I suppose he'll move on to Thomas the Tank Engine soon.

Robert Simms said...

Hi Dom,
J.P. has never been a big fan of Sesame street...I'm not sure why.
When he was very young, he was frightened of the Thomas characters. Now that's all he thinks about.