Saturday, April 29, 2017

Fahrt ins Glück

Having finished reading the the top ten best sellers of 1917, I went on to Jerusalem by Selma Lagerlöf. Now, having finished Jerusalem I've gone back to reading the works of Elizabeth von Arnim. Armin's novel Vera was the last book I read in 2017 and going into 2016, I immediately read four more novels by Arnim. Another of her novels, Christine was included in the top ten best sellers of 2017, published under the nom de plume Alice Cholmondeley.

I've downloaded and begun reading Arnim's Princess Priscilla's Fortnight.

In 1929, Princess Priscilla's Fortnight was made into a silent film - released with English subtitles as The Runaway Princess and with German subtitles as Priscillas Fahrt ins Glück. I've looked online for the film, but have been unable to find a copy. It's interesting to note that quite a few German films have been made with "Fahrt ins Glück" in the title. Google translates the phrase as "ride into happiness".

No comments: