Saturday, April 22, 2017

Uncle Meat

Speaking of Facebook notifications, I learned yesterday, that April 21 was the 48th anniversary of the release of The Mothers of Invention's fifth LP, (Zappa's sixth) Uncle Meat.

Although I was a fan of the Mothers, it was only recently that I listened to the entire album. When Uncle Meat was released, I had copies of Freak-Out!, Absolutely Free and We're Only In It For The Money. As far as I can recall, I had only heard portions of the LP that an acquaintance of mine owned. The little I heard at the time did not convince me to run out and get a copy for myself.

That's my loss, of course.

Listening to the LP today (thanks to Spotify) I understand that the work was ahead of its time. I could not appreciate the LP at the time. There are many today that still cannot appreciate Uncle Meat, but after years of listening to Zappa, Edgard Varèse, and Igor Stravinsky, I can say, although it's hardly Easy Listening, I do easy listening to Uncle Meat .

No comments: