Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I will not chant in class....

Being human,we all get a bit lazy at times and take little shortcuts.This is true in our relationships with other folks as well.We'll pigeon-hole people that we don't really know so well because it makes our life easier.Some secularists I know like to do this with those of us who have strong religious convictions.

A case in point: A co-worker of mine recently sent an email to me with a link to a story which, I'm sure, he thought would send me off into a rant on the evils of modern American society.The link he sent can be found here and the story on video can be found here.

The Reader's Digest version of the story is that another public school is considering eliminating traditional holidays from the school system....or at least, changing the names of Christmas and Halloween to Fall and Winter Festival so as to keep the peace between the Christians and Muslims in the school.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with this. Celebrating Christmas in a private Christian school is fine, but religion has no place in the public schools.Christmas celebrations in public school would only be a secular Santa Claus Xmas anyway. Certainly, not my idea of how the Holiday should be celebrated.

Needless to say, I wouldn't want any government employee leading any sort of school prayer either.It is the responsibility of the parent to instruct his children in religious study. My wife and I will teach our son how to pray....thank you very much.

Keep all government agencies-local, state and federal- out of this.

No comments: