Monday, July 28, 2008

Un Cuil.

I came across this article on My Way News- Ex-Google engineers debut 'Cuil' way to search.
In it, writer Michael Liedtke swoons over ex Google employee Anna Patterson's new search engine, Cuil.
Pronounced "cool", it's said the name was derived from a character named Finn McCuill in Celtic folklore. According to wikipedia, the mythical hunter-warrior of Irish mythology was actually called Fionn mac Cumhaill and Finn McCool is the Anglicised version. I guess Patterson and her husband, Tom Costello, and two other former Google engineers - Russell Power and Louis Monier - who started Cuil thought Cumhaill might not be such a good name for a search engine.
I won't go into all the wonderful things Liedtke has to say about Cuil but I can tell you that I am not as impressed as he is.
I went to Cuil.com and searched for a few things and found that not only is it not better than Google, it doesn't even come close. I can't imagine the folks at Google will be losing sleep over their latest competitor.

No comments: