Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Last Blog Post of 2012.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I haven't done such a bang-up job of keeping this blog up to date. I've only managed 125 posts this year and most of those have very little actual writing in them. At the very least, I should make an attempt to wrap up the year on this last day of 2012.

The two most significant events of the year were the discovery early in the year that I had prostate cancer and the death of one of my brothers this past August. The cancer was easily dispatched ... a radical prostatectomy took care of that problem, although the surgery was not without side effects.
The death of my brother, Rodney was unexpected. He had lived a hard life (of his own choosing). He had finally come to settle down a couple of years ago. He hadn't succeeded in repairing all the bridges he had burnt over the past 30 years or so, but I'm not going to spend time going into any sordid details.

After my return to work after the surgery, my schedule didn't encourage my writing; the little free time I had was spent either reading or watching reruns of Poirot,  Miss Marple   (or the later series Marple ) and Inspector Lewis on Netflix.

Following is a list of the books I've read (or reread) this year:

King Solomon's Mines, by H. Rider Haggard

Allan Quatermain, by Henry Rider Haggard

On Loving God, by St. Bernard

The New Anti-Catholicism, by Philip Jenkins

Lord of the World, by RH Benson

Paradoxes of Catholicism, by RH Benson

Return of Tarzan, by ER Burroughs.

The God That Did Not Fail, by Robert Royal

The Gods of Mars, by ER Burroughs

My Grandfather's Son, by Clarence Thomas

Moby Dick, by Herman Melville

The Egg and I, by Betty MacDonald

The Plaque and I, by Betty MacDonald

Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Aunt Phillis's Cabin Or, Southern Life As It Is, by Mary H. Eastman

Kristin Lavransdatter - Vol.1 - The Bridal Wreath, by Sigrid Undset

Danny Gospel, by David Athey

Dead Man Walking, by Sr. Helen Prejean

Forgiving the Dead Man Walking,by Debbie Morris with Gregg Lewis

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, by Vicente Blasco Ibañez

Of the group, the most disappointing read was Danny Gospel, by David Athey. It had been given high praises. The most enjoyable was Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, by Vicente Blasco Ibañez; that may be because it was the last one I read and the impression the book made on me is still fresh in my mind.

Among the books I started reading this year, but never finished are:

Anna Karenina, but Leo Tolstoy

The Idiot, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The River War, by Winston Churchill

The Confidence-Man, by Herman Melville

The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie

She, by Henry Rider Haggard 

Tomorrow I'll post a list of the books I'm planning on reading in 2013. Hopefully, the list will include the ones I began this year but didn't finish reading.

No comments: