Saturday, May 25, 2013

Go Ahead, Unfriend Me.

I've just "unfriended" four folks on Facebook.

Like everyone else I know, many of my Facebook "friends" are people I knew growing up......people I haven't seen in ages but who I remember fondly from my youth.

I've decide to remove these former friends because of their support of the Boy Scouts of America's vote to allow openly gay boys .

Many of those who had been pressuring the BSA to accept gay boys have focused their attention on one boy in particular ...... an openly gay boy from Maryland,Pascal Tessier.




I went to high school with Tessier's mother, Tracie Felker, and she's one of the people I've "unfriended".

It's not that I particularly care if Tessier becomes an Eagle Scout or not; that's not really what I object to. This move to permit openly gay boys into Scouting is merely the proverbial camel's nose under the tent. The real goal is to change BSA policy to allow homosexual men to be Scout leaders.

From People:

"Not that the controversy is over. The Scouts' longstanding ban on gay adults remains in force, and many liberal Scout leaders – as well as gay-rights groups – plan to continue pressing for an end to that exclusion even though the BSA's top officials aren't ready for that step."

In an early article,Felker was quoted as saying,"We're not trying to destroy Boy Scouts, we're trying to build it."

It may not have been her intention to destroy Boy Scouts, but that will be the end result.

Religious groups charter 70 percent of the Scout-sponsoring organizations, and while the LDS church "has released a statement expressing their support for the Boy Scouts of America after the youth organization voted to allow openly gay members" , it's unlikely that the majority of Christian churches will follow.

As I've said, I've "unfriended" four Facebook "friends" over this. To my current Facebook friends,if you support the change and I've missed you, feel free to "unfriend" me.

1 comment:

Larry Denninger said...

So basically BSA are saying that 8-9 year old boys are capable of knowing that they're gay.

I don't think there's much of a tent left for the camel to poke its nose into.