Friday, January 3, 2014

Better Late Than Not At All.

It would appear that I've broken from tradition this Holiday season. Normally on News Years Eve and New Years Day, I'd post something about the books I've read during the past year and some thoughts on books that I might have a go at in the upcoming year. Sadly there was no final blog post of 2013 or first blog post of 2014 this time around.

I wish I could write that I had a good reasons for this break from tradition, but unfortunately, I can only put it down to laziness. I just couldn't motivate myself to make the December 31 slash January 1st deadline.

But now, it's 12:47 AM, I've awoken and can't get back to sleep.I may as well post that piece now and get it out of the way.

My list of the books I've read or reread in 2013 follows:

Watcher from the Shore        Ayako Sono
No Reason for Murder          Ayako Sono
The Betrothed                       Alessandro Manzoni
A Guide to Christian Meditation   John Bartunek, LC
Carmen                                  Prosper Mérimée
When the Well Runs Dry       Thomas H. Green, S.J.
Opening To God                    Thomas H. Green, S.J.
Silence                                    Shusaku Endo
John Paul The Great              Peggy Noonan
Crossing the Threshold of Hope   John Paul II
The Red Battle Flyer                 Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen
Cavalry of the Clouds               Alan Bott
Write Away                            Elizabeth George
Defending The Free Market        Fr. Robert Sirico
Twelve Years a Slave              Solomon Northup

Some of the books that I began reading but couldn't bring myself to finish include :

The Bomber             Liza Marklund
The Comedienne     Władysław Stanisław Reymont
Return to Order: From a Frenzied Economy to an Organic Christian Society    John Horvat
En Route                J.K. Huysmans

I hesitate to add The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie to either list as I'm currently reading it. Starting on it late, I couldn't finish reading it before the December 31 deadline,although I intend on finishing it.

I know. This isn't much in the way of "The Year in Review", but it's the best I can do just after midnight.

No comments: