Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Horsemeat Post Update.

When events change, I do my best to keep up. Looking at my Google Analytics this evening, I discovered that someone in Mechanicsville, Virginia had recently visited my blog, landing on a post from December, 2011 - Let Them Eat Horse Meat.

In that post, I reported that, in 2005, President Bush had signed into law an appropriation bill which had removed funding for USDA inspection of slaughterhouses which choose to slaughter horses for human food. I also reported in that post that a bill, signed by Obama, reversed Bush's ban on horse slaughterhouse inspection.

I wanted to find out if anything had changed over the last few years regarding this issue. Doing an Internet search, I discovered that in 2014, President Obama signed a bill that would block the resumption of commercial horse slaughter in the U.S..

As I said in my earlier post, I don't have a beef with people who choose to eat horse meat. According to a wikipedia article, more than 4.7 million horses are eaten every year. Who are we to argue?

Maybe one day, we'll see the Chick-fil-A cows with signs reading, "Eat mo hoss".

No comments: