Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Starfish


Normally, I take my morning walk at about 7:00 AM after I've returned home from taking my son to school, but today, because school is out for the remainder of Holy Week, I left the apartment a little earlier than usual. While walking to the market, I came upon this starfish drying on the sidewalk.

Obviously, someone found the starfish along the beach and left it where I found it.

The top photo was taken when I first discovered the starfish on the way to the market. I hadn't considered taking it home until after I had arrived at the market. On the way home, I put the starfish into a plastic bad I found on the street nearby and placed in outside our apartment. It's difficult getting an idea of its size in a photo; I measured the starfish at its longest point - from the tip of one arm to another - and it is 6 1/2 inches long.

Following the advice I found online, I am drying the starfish in salt to preserve it When it has completely dried out, I can place it near my brain coral.


No comments: