Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Maltese Falcon (Novel)

Back when I was a kid - you know, when dinosaurs still walked the Earth - we were only able to get 3 channels on our television. Now, many years later, we're able to get more that 100 stations; and we're in a third world country. Imagine the number of channels available in a first world nation.

Still, even with more than 100 channels to choose from, there are only a handful of stations that I care to watch regularly.

One of those channels is TCM - which, at one time, stood for Turner Classic Movies. I enjoy watching the old films - most in black and white. For good or bad, the TCM channel available here in Philippines will repeat movies several times through out the month. This month, I'm given plenty of opportunities to watch one of my favorite oldies - The Maltese Falcon starring Humphrey Bogart. After watching the movie again last night, I thought I'd look online for information about the novel on which the movie is based.

The novel was published in 1930, and I discovered that the book is in the public domain in Canada and available for download at a Canadian website, fadedpage.com.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm currently reading volume one (Swann's Way) of Proust's multi-volume, In Search of Lost Time. I'll finish reading this volume before beginning The Maltese Falcon, but I won't wait to finish the other six volumes. I'll go on to volume two of Proust's work after I've read the Dashiell Hammett crime novel.

No comments: