Sunday, April 12, 2020

Music Most Lame

For the first time in his fifty eight year career, Bob Dylan has finally charted a number hit on Billboard with a 17 minute "song" entitled Murder Most Foul.

I was tempted to refer to it as Music Most Foul after my attempt to listen to it, but that changed to Music Most Boring until finally deciding on the title of this post, Music Most Lame.

 I couldn't force myself to listen to the entire song, although I was able to scan over the lyrics found online.

Dylan was 22 when JFK was assassinated - I was 11 - and he's still processing it's meaning today. For many years, when I was growing up, no one spoke any ill of President Kennedy. We were convinced that he had been a saint. My generation came to hate the Vietnam War and the U.S. Presidents involved in the war - particularly Johnson and Nixon, but we were ignorant for the most part, of Kennedy's role in the war.

Being currently trapped at home during this covid19 pandemic I've been spending a good deal of my time watching Netflix. As I write this, I've just finished watching two episodes of Ken Burn's documentary of the Vietnam war and my opinion of JFK has fallen. Kennedy's reputation had suffered in my view years ago when I first learned of his extramarital affairs and now it's at rock bottom.

Little wonder that he was so admired by Bill Clinton.

No comments: