Friday, March 26, 2021

Government Stimulus Checks Bring Out the Scammers


 

There was once a time, many, many years ago when a good portion of this blog dealt with my misadventures attempting to scam the scammers. I would use one or more Yahoo email addresses to correspond with what are generally referred to as Nigerian scammers.

In those by-gone days, I would use characters such as Wanda Tuinphro, Misty Meaner, Fred and Lamont Sanford and a host of others, to keep these scammers occupied - usually leading them down a rabbit hole.

I had a website which I would use to create fake news sites to make some of my tall tales more believable. Unfortunately, I no longer have that website, so links in those earlier blog posts lead nowhere.

The last of these adventures ended in 2011 with Capt. Eddie Shields.......Nigerian Scammer. I had become bored and no longer interested in maintaining these charades.

Of course, like everyone else with an email account, I continue to get the occasional scam-spam.

I received one recently which had me scratching my head. Could there be folks so gullible as to believe some of these obvious swindles. I'm sure there are quite a few people who are upset at not having received the latest stimulus payment from Uncle Sam. There will be, of course lots of bad guys looking to take advantage of the situation by sending fraudulent emails; but, seriously - look at the return email address on the scam email photo at the beginning of this post. Does anyone think that such a bizarre email address would come from some U.S. Federal agency set up to assist people?

An email coming from QPVYBPBW...@ndvfsqyrh etc. should set off alarms for anyone. I'd really hate to think that this scam is successful. Surely, people can't be this stupid......can they?

No comments: