Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Manipulating images

It's easy enough to make resolutions. I can tell myself that I'll do what needs to be done to get something into this blog every day. To me,the most difficult thing in writing isn't necessarily finding the words so much as it is finding a proper subject.

While in Dumaguete, I made a point of getting lots of photos.....mainly to have something for the web site. It occurred to me that I could use this catalog of recent photos to provide me with subjects for my writing. I can merely look at a photo, allow the photo to refresh my memory of some incident surrounding the circumstances of when and why and how the photo came to be.The idea worked well enough on my last entry, but the process is not as easy as I once thought it would be.

I have a few photos of St. Catherine's Cathedral in Dumaguete -both of the inside and outside views. I've been trying to come up with a different background for the website and I think a photo of this very important landmark would be the perfect choice. The problem is, if the photo is used, as is, it will over power the foreground. It makes reading the content of the web page nearly impossible. I want to find some way of manipulating the image in a way that looks good. None of the photo editing software I have will allow me to do exactly what I want to do with this photo.

The answer seems to be in buying additional software.Money doesn't grow on trees, however. Then there's the chore of learning how to use the particular software once you have it. If you don't know how to use the software before hand you can't always be certain it will do what you want, anyway. That's always the problem with being a perfectionist who wants to do it all. I want to do the writing, the photography and the design myself. There's so much to learn to get one thing right.....how much more so to do it all.

No comments: