Saturday, August 30, 2008

I'm Switching to .....McCain/Palin.

As anyone who has followed this blog knows, John McCain isn't my favorite Republican. I didn't vote for McCain in the primary.....I had opted for Romney.
As soon as it was clear that McCain would be the candidate, I immediately decided that, should the Libertarians pick someone I could support, I'd go Libertarian all the way.
The Libertarians did just that when they picked Bob Barr as their Presidential candidate.Barr had been my representative in Congress many years ago and I was happy to see him in the race.
I had placed a few banner links on this blog for Barr, the Libertarian Party and The Libertarians for Life. As you can see, those banner links are no longer there.
I was willing to vote Barr, even if it meant that the Electoral College votes would favor the Democrats.

I wasn't 100% happy with that decision; the more I learned about Obama's views on abortion and the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, the more I realized that having Obama as President would be a disaster.
Still, it was difficult for me to support McCain....that is until he picked Sarah Palin as his VP running mate.
This is an excellent choice. A paragraph from a Washington Post article says it best,
"Picking Palin also helps McCain consolidate his party's conservative base, which has been at best lukewarm toward his candidacy. The governor's conservative credentials are not in doubt, whether on abortion or gun rights or gay rights. The announcement of her elevation to the Republican ticket brought an outpouring of enthusiasm from the right flank of the GOP and will assure a more energized convention next week in St. Paul, Minn."
With this move, McCain has taken my vote from Bob Barr.
In a perfect world, I would still prefer Barr, but I have to be pragmatic. We cannot have Obama as President......Barr has no chance of winning and Palin makes McCain look good.

3 comments:

Kevin Whiteman said...

Now if she can get him to renounce Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Then, and only then, will he get my vote.

PS, I've just added you to my blogroll!

Robert Simms said...

Hi Caveman,
Yeah, McCain's support of Embryonic Stem Cell Research is troubling. Let's just hope he's just a bit confused on that......that seems to be his only blemish in his pro-life stance.
P.S. Thanks for the link. (yours has been here for a couple of days)

Olga said...

the announcement that Palin was picked as McCain's VP made me think of my favorite TV show, Commander in Chief with Geena Davis.