Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Books & Blogs

Earlier this month, I wrote that, after having read one chapter of Sir Ernest Shackleton's South! The Story of Shackleton's Last Expedition, 1914-1917, I'd highly recommend this book. Now, after having finished reading it, my recommendation still stands (although I found the appendix to be a bit dry and uninteresting). Project Gutenberg gives a number of options for downloading and I choose "Kindle (with images)". Unfortunately, no images were downloaded with the mobi. I was only about to see the original photos with the html option

Lately, I've been watching old movies on Youtube - particularly movies starring Edward G. Robinson. One film of his that I watched recently was a 1947 film noir, The Red House. The movie is an adaptation of the novel of the same name by George Agnew Chamberlain.

According to his biography, "George Agnew Chamberlain authored some 36 books in a career lasting from the 1910s through the 1950s, of which a handful were turned into movies." Unfortunately for me, only one of Chamberlain's books are in the public domain and available at Project Gutenberg - Through Stained Glass -. I'm recommending this book as well (as of this writing, I've read 20%).

While I'm on the subject of books, I'll list two books which I plan on reading soon, and how I came upon the idea of adding the books to my list.

I've written 2 posts recently on Mark Shea's blog, Catholic and Enjoying It ! and while reading his blog in order to get my facts straight, I discovered a fellow exile from Shea's blog, Manny.

Manny is the author of the blog, Ashes From Burnt Roses. In a recent post, Manny mentions Jack London's novels,The Call of the Wild and White Fang. That post has encouraged me to download both novels, which I'll get to after I finished reading Chamberlain's book.

No comments: