Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Today, August 15, is the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and a holy day of obligation for Catholics.

In celebration of Mary's Assumption, the students of St. Paul's University of Dumaguete, held a procession from the school to the Cathedral of St. Catherine of Alexandria in Dumaguete city - a distance of about 1 3/4 miles.


The students gathered at the school at 4:30 this morning. The plan was for the students to attend Mass at the cathedral after the procession. Classes would not commence until after 8:30 (normally starting at 7:00 AM) and I was to pick up my son after Mass and bring him home for breakfast before taking him back to the school. I had not idea when Mass was scheduled to begin or end, so rather than return home after dropping him at the school at 4:30, I drove to the cathedral, parked the car and waited for the students. I needed to fulfill the obligation as well, so I'd attend the Mass with the students.

I arrived at the Cathedral around 4:40 AM, thinking I'd sit quietly in the church. I was not aware that there would be a 5:00 AM Mass before the procession arrived. This Mass was given by the Bishop, said in Bisaya, and attended by approximately 60 people (more or less).

The 5:00 AM Mass ended just before 6:00 - a few minutes before the students began to arrive. I was able to get a few photographs.

Fortunately for me, this 6:00 AM Mass for St. Paul students was said in English.




No comments: