Friday, August 18, 2017

Update on the Fallen Tree


In one of yesterday's posts I published a number of photos of an acacia tree that had fallen across the highway in Sibulan, Negros Oriental. As can be seen in today's photos, the tree is no longer blocking the highway and traffic is proceeding normally through the town.

When I wrote the post yesterday, I was not aware of an exact time as to when the tree feel. There had been heavy rain that night, and apparently the ground was overly saturated. We experienced an electrical brown out sometime around 3:00 AM, and I've learned since then (via Facebook, of course) that that is about the time the tree did fall.

I've also learned since yesterday's post, that the tree was more than 100 years old.

Not all the tree could be removed from the area. Basically, it was shoved to the side of the road. The area where the partially cut up tree lay was previously used by fruit and vegetable vendors to sell their produce of the weekends. The canopies used by the vendors have been set off behind their original location being placed inside the park, as can be seen in a number of my photos.

I have no idea what will finally be done about the tree. Perhaps local wood sellers will be allowed to remove whatever they can use.


No comments: