Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Ubiquitous Tricycle

Where would Dumaguete be without the ubiquitous tricycle ? It would be an exaggeration to say that there are no automobiles in Dumaguete but they are as rare as hen's teeth. Motorcycles are everywhere but for the most part the average person relies on the motorcycle with a side-car called a tricycle. It's a loud and bumpy ride.

As for the traffic laws....the law of the land seems to be "every man for himself". When approaching an intersection it's the bravest driver that proceeds first. If there's a traffic light in all of Dumaguete, I have yet to see it and it seems as if you take your life into your hands when crossing the street.

I have no idea how a driver can possibly earn a living. The fare is either 6 or 7 peso per person (I can never remember how much) and the price of gasoline is comparable to the cost in the USA.

Because I don't live here year round, I can look on all of this as a romantic,exotic adventure. I don't know if I'd have the same high regard for this sort of transportation if Dumaguete was my permanent address.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

larry quit...again

Anonymous said...

check biz news or your mail, vonage might be shut down or rates skyrocket not allowed any new customers