Monday, May 14, 2007

May 13,2007

Today is the 90th anniversary of the first appearance of the Blessed Mother to the three children at Fatima, Portugal.Growing in a Catholic home, I vaguely had an idea of how the story went.I even have an idealised portrait of the three,painted on wood , given to me by my grandmother more than 50 years ago.As a child, the events of 35/40 years previous seemed like ancient history.I'm not even sure when I realized that the apparitions happened during the First World War.
In 1917,my grandmother would have been a teenager-just a bit older than Lucia.In the grand scheme,90 years is not so long ago;Lucia has only been dead since 2005.She died a few months before Pope John Paul II (who was shot by a would-be assassin on this same day in 1981).
There have been all sorts of speculations and theories as to the true meaning of what happened at Fatima and it would be impossible for me to go into it all now......I'm not that good at writing. But, Google can help anyone find out anything they might want to know about it.

No comments: