Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Schwarzenegger Welcomes Marijuana Debate.

California Governor - and husband of Maria Shriver - Arnold Schwarzenegger said he welcomes a public debate on proposals to legalize and tax marijuana.

When asked about the idea of treating pot like alcohol, Schwarzenegger said,
"No, I don't think it's time for that, but I think it's time for a debate."

Why not?

From my Libertarian point of view, I don't see much difference between the legalization of marijuana, tobacco or alcohol. I don't use tobacco......only an idiot would; I wouldn't smoke marijuana either but, for the life of me, I can't see how the government can make the use of one a crime but not the other.

Tobacco and alcohol are hardly health foods, yet adults can use either if they like. All three substances have the potential for abuse. Go to an AA meeting and you'll see a cloud of cigarette smoke hovering overhead.

I don't have a problem with Joe Six-pack, sitting in his living room, watching T.V. and smoking a cigarette while he drinks his brewski. As long as he stays at home, minding his own business, I don't have a problem with him having a joint as well.

Heck, he can even have a cholesterol laden cheeseburger too.

No comments: