Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Last Airbender.

I couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my son J.P. had become interested in the Nickelodeon animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. I was a little surprised; although I knew nothing of the series, when I first started paying attention to what he was watching, I thought the series seemed to be geared towards kids a few years older than he.

While I've been off from work, there was a marathon of episodes showing on Nicktoons and the two of us spend lots of time together watching the show. I have to say that I enjoyed it.

Naturally, when we learned of the movie version of the series, we both wanted to see it. My wife Cathy had not been watching the program with us, but she was intrigued by the movie trailer and wanted to see the movie as well.

The film, in 3D, opened in our little town and the three of us went to see it last night. I won't go into the plot. We enjoyed the film. I'd say it fits in perfectly with the animated series and I'm sure fans of the series will be happy with it.

The only problem I had with the experience was the poor quality of the 3D. A few months back, the three of us were visiting friends in Greenville, South Carolina and went to see How to Train Your Dragon in 3D and were very impressed with the technology. However, that wasn't the case here in Rome; the 3D was lousy. We would have preferred to watch the film in traditional 2 dimension. I'm fairly certain that the problem lay with the theater here in our little backwater town; even the 3D coming attractions were off kilter. I'm sure that if one were to watch the movie in a theater which has state of the art equipment the 3D experience would beat the socks off what we had to put up with yesterday.

Never the less, I'd recommend the movie. I'm sure I'll get a copy of the DVD when it's released so J.P. and I can watch again (that will probably be timed to go with the release of the second part of the trilogy).

No comments: