Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Garden Plot - Day Two: My Trophies.

Yesterday, after I had done all the digging in the garden plot that I was going to do for the day, I kept an eye on the area to get a better idea of where the sunlight would be falling there during different times of the day. I want to use as much of the spot as I can, but I certainly don't want to dig in areas that stay shaded all day.

During the night, I was awakened by dogs barking and found one mutt laying in the freshly dug bed. I quickly chased it away; I'll have to modify my bamboo fencing to keep the sons of bitches away.

After taking J.P. to school this morning, I went back to work. It's not an easy job. I'm sure that the fact that I'm a worn-out geezer has something to do with it, but I'd like to think that even a younger man would have a rough go with this.

I'm not working on a schedule; I can take as long as I like, finishing this. I want this done right, so I'm not going to rush.

While tossing smaller stones out of the bed and into an area that never gets sunlight, I had the idea that, because I want to do my best on this garden plot, I should follow the example of Saint Josemaría Escrivá and dedicate my work to God. As an added help, I decided to dedicate this garden to the Blessed Mother. It will be almost like praying, thinking of this as I work.

I marked off a small section that I would do today. As it turned out, I was given a little present; I like to think of these two things as trophies for a job well done.

One is a large stone and the other is the root of a shrub that was cut down.

I couldn't resist taking photos of my trophies. It dawned on me that in simply taking the photo of the stone and root, there would be no way for anyone to judge their size. So, if you look closely, you'll see a Philippine Piso atop the stone, as way of reference.

Of course, then it occurred to me that not everyone is familiar with Philippine currency, so I've included a photo of a Philippine Piso in my hand.

I am so  looking forward to my first tomato sandwich.


No comments: