Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Losin' With Cruz.

I'd like to "like" Sen. Ted Cruz; I really would. He and I agree on a good many things, not everything, of course, but sadly it's those few differences that rub me the wrong way.

The differences I have with the Senator can best be illustrated by his picking Liberty University, in Lynchburg, Virginia as the location to announce his candidacy for the 2016 presidential race.

The Washington Post calls Liberty University"the symbolic center of the GOP political-religious universe". That may be true for the GOPs conservative Protestant wing, but for this conservative Catholic, I find the folks at Liberty not quite my cuppa coffee.

I've always found the late Jerry Falwell's particular brand of Protestantism more than a little creepy. Falwell was a strong supporter of 6-day, young earth creation as well the belief that global waming was "created to destroy America’s free enterprise system and our economic stability.”

Whenever I hear the words "Liberty University", I can't help but immediately think "6-day, young earth creation" and that, frankly, gives me the heebie–jeebies.

No comments: