Saturday, July 28, 2018

Eliminating Plastic

It has been reported that, when it comes to the volume of plastic making its way into the ocean, Philippines is one of the worst offenders - just behind Indonesia and China. In response to these reports, Philippines has put forth an effort to address this problem.

I'm also attempting to do my part.

On my morning walk, I will frequently stop at various vendors to purchase what I might need for a day or two. This morning, I stopped to purchase a loaf of bread from the Birdie's Bakeshop near the Sibulan Public Market, and inside the market, I stopped at three different vendors to buy bananas, a few vegetables and chicken. Normally, each of these vendors would have put their wares into plastic bags. This morning, I decided to make the change and bring a canvas tote bag with me.

Of course, the chicken still had to be put into a plastic bag, but I didn't need plastic bags from the bakeshop or fruit and vegetable vendors.

It's a small start, but we have to begin somewhere.

No comments: