Friday, November 23, 2018

Mango Shake from the Cafe Racer Diner

This afternoon, I made my way to the Cafe Racer Diner for a mango shake. This isn't the first time I've mentioned the cafe in a blog post. In March of 2017, I wrote of a half- VW Beetle used as decoration - slash - conversation piece outside the cafe.

When I sat down at a small table, I told the waitress there was no need to leave a menu - I only wanted the mango shake. Normally, at nearly all the cafes and eateries in the area, one would have to pay before getting ones order, but Cafe Racer is one of the few exceptions here. You don't pay when you order.

Because I hadn't looked at the menu, I was unaware of the cost of the mango shake. As I received my shake, I thought that not knowing the price before drinking it might prevent my prejudging the drink.

The mango shake I had at Cafe Racer was absolutely delicious. The perfect mango shake. As I drank, I felt this one would be one of the higher priced shakes in Dumaguete. Upon finishing, I asked the waitress for the check, and I understood her to say the shake was 185 pesos.

Yikes.

I handed her a 200 peso note and waited at the table for my change. I was completely shocked. This may have been one of the better mango shakes I've had, but it was the highest priced shake I've come upon. No other mango shake had even come close to 185 pesos.

When the waitress returned with my change, she gave me - not the 15 pesos change I expected, but 115 pesos.

"What did you say the price is for the shake?", I asked.
"85 pesos", she replied.
"Oh," I said, "I misunderstood what you said".

I didn't tell her the amount I thought she had told me.

As it turned out, the shake isn't the highest priced mango shake in town after all, but more reasonably priced.

I have no complaints with the mango shake at Cafe Racer, nor the price.

No comments: