Tuesday, January 1, 2019

The 2018 Book List

It's New Year's day. As I write this, it is just past 7 AM. I've returned from my morning walk, and I'm ready to begin my first blog post of 2019.

It's been a New Year's day tradition of mine,for quite a few years, to post a list of the books I'd read the previous year. This year will not be an exception. Sadly, I read fewer books in 2018 than I had in several years previous. In 2017, for example, the total books read for the year was 45. In 2018, if one counts Alexandre Dumas' Celebrated Crimes as eight separate volumes, then my number for 2018 is a lowly 17.

The list, such as it is follows:

Celebrated Crimes Volumes One Through Eight   Alexandre Dumas,père
The Maltese Falcon   Dashiell Hammett
The Adventures of Sam Spade and other stories   Dashiell Hammett
Remembrance of Things Past : Swann's Way   Marcel Proust
The Shape of Things to Come.   H.G. Wells
Payment Deferred   C.S. Forester
The African Queen   C.S. Forester
Plain Murder    C.S. Forester
The Peacemaker    C.S. Forester
Hunger                  Knut Hamsun

Part of the reason why the number is so low, is that I began reading a number of books, but stopped reading before I finished the entire book. Two of those include Middlemarch by George Eliot and Aldous Huxley's Eyeless in Gaza. There are no consolation prizes for unfinished novels (read or written).

As I discovered with the 2017 reading list, the list doesn't transfer well when viewed on a mobile phone. With that list, I added a post which was viewable on a mobile device. I'll do the same with this list immediately following the publication of this post.

A word on the photo - I've included a photo of C.S. Forester because four of his novels appear on this list.

No comments: