Monday, November 18, 2019

The Vloggers

When a friend of mine - who was himself quite the blogger in the day - remarked that blogging was dead, I wasn't sure how to respond. True, the number of blog posts I myself had published had dropped considerably, but I still had an emotional attachment to the written word and didn't want to see it disappear from the Internet.

With the coming of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, folks could express their thoughts and feelings without much need for following the rules of grammar or paying attention to proper sentence structure. It was much easier to re-post or retweet someone's dig at Obama, or Trump or whoever your particular nemesis might be.

Blogging may well have been on life-support for a few years, but a new phenomenon has put the final proverbial nail in blogging's coffin......the Youtube Vlogger.

I know of four foreign vloggers in the Dumaguete area, doing videos of life here in Philippines. Two I know personally, while I've only come across the other two on the Internet.

These four - in no particular order - are:
Dumaguete Expat
Houston And Beyond To The Philippines
Gio in the Philippines
SwissHumanity

There are times when I feel like joining 'em since I can't beat 'em. I'm giving it thought, but should I decide to connect this blog to my own vlog, I'd want to do something unique. I'm not quite there, yet.

No comments: