Sunday, December 1, 2019

Dead PC

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I was ever reluctant to see the death of blogging and as it turned out, I began to get back into the swing of things and actually started to post more frequently than I had been.

Just as the number of posts began to pick up for November, I was hit with something that looked as if it might push my blogging further toward it's demise. This past Saturday, after having watched "A Night at the Opera" on my PC, I left my computer turned on while I finished reading a novel I had uploaded to my Kindle. While reading, we experienced another of the never ending electrical brown-outs plaguing our area.

The electricity wasn't off long. I immediately restarted my PC. This was a mistake. It hadn't been on very long when we experienced a 2nd brown-out. This time my PC did something bizarre.

My desktop had completely changed. There was no desktop photo and most of the items I had on the desktop had vanished. I was able to get online, but it was as if my system had returned to day one. I had no documents - no photos.  Kindle for PC was gone as was Spotify. My browser had lost all my saved passwords.

Not everything disappeared. I still had my anti virus software installed and my GIMP photo editor was there. It looked as if all our photos from over the years were lost.

I was unable to download either a new Kindle For PC or Spotify app as my operating system was too out of date. I guess the ones I had before the crash were "grandfathered" in. The wisest thing for me to do, it seemed, was to try to restore the PC to an earlier point in time.

Now, after going to a restore point, my PC is denying me access. Strangely enough though, I can enter my PC in "safe mode" where I've located all my lost photos and documents which I've managed to transfer to a USB flash drive. With these photos saved, I feel much better about taking my PC in for repair. If it turns how that a new hard drive and OS is called for, I have the photos saved.

I'm writing this post on my son's laptop - which I hate using. Hopefully I can be back to normal in a few days.

No comments: